So, week one of my new healthy plan is over (read part one here), and what were the results? Well, I lost two whole kilos! That’s about 4.4 lbs!
But the most important thing for me was that I kept to the plan, and I didn’t go hungry. In terms of this being a lifestyle change rather than a diet, I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to stick to it long term, and continue to weed out the foods that, while they might taste scrumptious, aren’t good for me.
I read here about the 80/20 rule for healthy eating, and it made such sense to me that I’ve stuck with it. Basically, it says if you choose healthy food options 80% of the time, you can indulge for the other 20%.
This week, I haven’t indulged much, but when I have, I haven't feel guilty about it. I had a chocolate-covered cherry out of a box because I fancied one, and last night during the All Blacks’ game, I had a few crisps and two glasses of red wine because I wanted to celebrate! But otherwise, I’ve chosen healthier options.
I’ve not had a single can of diet soda, no biscuits, no muffins. I’ve really enjoyed my breakfast of yoghurt, high-fibre cereal, and fruit (usually I’d have had two chocolate biscuits, but this was much more filling!) At lunch, I might share a chicken roll or something with Mr. Fox because we’re normally out and about, but we’ve been halving everything, and trying to choose healthy options. And for dinner I’ve been having vegetable and barley soups with a wholemeal slice of bread. Snacks have been wholegrain crackers with 100% peanut butter or cottage cheese, or a pack of nuts. I’ve also replaced my evening glass of white wine with a glass of red.
I thought I’d crave something sugary and sweet, but I haven’t, and I haven’t been snacking 24/7 either.
I’ve exercised most days, 30 minutes on my treadmill—I don’t run because my knees are shot, but I walk fast, and I’ve enjoyed the buzz it gives me.
So all in all, I feel it’s been a positive week. I’m hopeful I can keep it up, too. Whether I’ll end up losing a lot of weight, I don’t know. I think I’d have to cut down my calorie intake significantly, and I’m not sure how I’d deal with that! But if I can continue to eat healthily, I’ll be super pleased. And if a few pounds come off too, it’ll be a bonus!
Download your free starter library today!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG here
All work on this website is the copyright of Serenity Woods. Please do not reproduce any part of it without permission of the author. Most of the pictures are from Pixabay and are free for commercial use.